A broken leg at 13 months, just one month after he started walking, a broken arm in two places 3 months shy of turning 3, and now a broken arm in the same spot just 2 weeks shy of his 3rd birthday and his cast had only been off for 2 1/2 weeks. What can I say. What fun would a day be with out a trip to the E.R.? That's right, sunday we had a family day planned, and since Max was still getting over a cold we decided not to go to church. So we went out to breakfast and to the Park.
The crazy thing to all of this is Jack is not exactly "all boy" when it comes to playing hard. He has always been the one to stand back and watch, be more cautious you know. Thankfully he has all boy cousins, so he has had to toughen up quite a bit over the years.
So we went down the slide a hundred times, through the tunnels, and swings. And before we were leaving the park, I noticed off in the distance this what looked to be an old water fountain that had been filled in with dirt and now grass was growing. So we went to check it out. We were just casually walking around it, and I regret to say that Johnny and I turned our back for like 30 seconds, and then we heard the dreadful sound....Jack SCREAMING! We new almost immediately. I was holding Max so Johnny picked Jack up and just held him. We tried to calm him down and convince him to slide just one more time, trying to get his mind off of the pain so we could tell if he was really hurt. No such luck.
So we left and made arrangements for Max and headed to the hospital. Walking into the E.R., people noticed us....of course, it had only been 2 months since we had last been there. After x-rays and examination from Drs. and nurses, and lots of waiting, and a red popsicle that he so patiently waited for; it was confirmed that he had broken his arm again, and the exact same break as before. Only this time, much worse. We heard the dreadful word, Surgery. One of my biggest fears, and now I have to watch my little boy go through it. So they scheduled Jacks surgery for monday (yesterday), which meant he had to go home with a splint on (a somewhat firm/soft cast).
You can probably imagine we didn't sleep well that night. Jack ended up sleeping with me. And since he broke the arm that he sucks his thumb from, you can imagine how much worse that made it. So I convinced him to just hold my hand instead. HOW precious. Right before he fell asleep, he said "Mommy, this is fun"! I lost it. He's laying right beside me with a broken arm, can't even suck his thumb, and he says that. He was embracing the moment of just laying with me holding my hand. So Johnny prayed with us and he went and slept in Jack's bed. I had a hard time falling asleep, just laying there praying and looking at Jack, hoping that the surgery goes well.
Overall, he did great, considering his arm looked like the letter "S". Yikes! The surgery went well. Since Johnny works in surgical sales and works at OSF frequently, they let him put some scrubs on and take Jack back to the O.R. and lay him on the table...and then he screamed when Johnny left.
The Dr. ended up doing a closed reduction which is when they manipulate the bones back into place and then put a cast on it. A blue one this time. Thankfully Jack didn't want purple again. So we were so thankful that they didn't have to put rods into the bones. That would have been a lot more painful and a much more extensive recovery. Praise God!
I actually can't complain about the whole day. Except the part where I was stuck in the elevator on my way to see him in recovery. Did I mention I have an extreme fear of elevators and small enclosed spaces with no windows. And on my way to see Jack, as he is screaming uncontrollably for mommy, how awful. But my brilliant husband figured out to just push the "door open" button, and it worked. AHHHHH. No really, the day went smooth and right on schedule, we were home by 3 p.m. And we had so many people praying for us. Thanks everyone, we appreciate it more than you will know. I did have to keep reminding myself that God is in control, so stop the worry, he's in the best hands possible and the best Dr. possible (God).
After a restful night sleep last night for us all, Jack enjoyed the day today playing outside almost all day until nap time. You wouldn't even know he broke his arm. So praise God we are through the scary part and now we pray his little arm just heals in the cast. Here are a few pics. of our day yesterday.
Here's Jack waiting to be called to surgery. In the pre-op area, they had all kinds of toys for kids...Jack was all about it.
Too Cute!
Did I mention we dragged Jack's favorite buddy, "Giraffe" to the hospital with us. Yep, he even went into surgery with him. Here Jack had him in the trunk of the car, he thought it was the coolest.
Oh, and we took our lap top so Jack could watch movies, we weren't sure how long we were going to be there. Just chillin' watching Nemo.
And then they played Cars on the Wii. Yeah, I don't know if I am ignorant or what, but a Wii in the hospital, how brilliant. Especially for the older kids who really know how to play it...or the dad's who want to play it. hahahaha, I knew Johnny would appreciate this picture! Love you babe.
I didn't get a picture yet of Jacko in his cast, but will soon and will post it. Thanks again to all of you who prayed for us! Let's continue to pray now to stay away from the E.R.!
Molly-I just found your blog through Katie's! Just wanted to say Hi! Jack looks like he was such a trooper! And I'll definitely pray for no more E.R. visits! :)
ReplyDeleteErin Wuthrich